Student Resource Center
Welcome to the Student Resource Center, which exists to help YOU achieve success during your time at school. We want to help YOU do your best!
1) Please take THIS TROUBLESHOOTER SURVEY so we can determine any roadblocks to your success in school, and assist you in working toward solutions.
2) What type of learner are you? Visual (seeing), Auditory (hearing), or Kinesthetic/Tactile (touch)? CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE LEARNING STYLES ONLINE INVENTORY– it takes just a few minutes. Watch this video for more:
- If you are an AUDITORY learner, you may wish to use tapes. Tape lectures to help you fill in the gaps in your notes. But do listen and take notes, reviewing notes frequently. Sit in the lecture hall or classroom where you can hear well. After you have read something, summarize it and recite it aloud.
- If you are a VISUAL learner, then by all means be sure that you look at all study materials. Use charts, maps, filmstrips, notes and flashcards. Practice visualizing or picturing words/concepts in your head. Write out everything for frequent and quick visual review.
- If you are a TACTILE learner, trace words as you are saying them. Facts that must be learned should be written several times. Keep a supply of scratch paper for this purpose. Taking and keeping lecture notes will be very important. Make study sheets.
3) Do you know your personality type? Why is it important to know your personality type? Because self-awareness helps you to accept who you are, identifies your natural strengths, identifies your natural weaknesses and blind spots, and helps you understand the strengths and weaknesses of others.
4) Time Management – Do you need help managing your time? This Presentation gives valuable time management tips and techniques: TIME MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES PRESENTATION
After you finish viewing the presentation, complete this worksheet: EFFECTIVE TIME MANAGEMENT WORKSHEET
Write down assignments on the date they are due. This will help you plan. Here’s a Calendar to print out: 2011 CALENDAR
Here’s a Weekly Planner: WEEKLY PLANNER
5) Memorization and Study Techniques. Watch these videos for tips to help you learn better:
Try using the CORNELL NOTE TAKING SYSTEM.
8) Do you need help researching information for a class assignment? Then take THE LRC ORIENTATION SEMINAR to learn how to use the LIRN databases and other resources available at the Learning Resource Center. Don’t forget THE LRC ORIENTATION WORKSHEET!
10) Do you need childcare? Take a look at this brochure for a listing of Child Care Centers in Tampa near Meridian Career Institute: CHILD CARE BROCHURE
11) Do you need to create a resume? Complete the RESUME WORKSHEET and give it to your Librarian (Tampa Campus) or Career Services Representative (Sarasota Campus).
13) If you don’t have health insurance, and you live in Hillsborough County, you may be eligible for the HILLSBOROUGH HEALTHCARE PROGRAM. If you live in Sarasota County, you may be eligible for SARASOTA COUNTY HEALTHCARE ACCESS. Manatee County residents may be eligible for health care from the “WE CARE MANATEE” clinic.